Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Daniel Cervantes - May 24th

I woke up today, and I felt pretty exhausted. The previous day we worked a full shift of community service, and today would be no different. We have been volunteering at a place called the Muraleando. It is a public space where artists create and paint murals, bands play music, and children learn about the arts. Today, we had to pickaxe, shovel, and level out a giant pile of rock and dirt. It took us about two hours to completely level everything, but it felt fulfilling to give back the community. On the other hand, the sun was excruciating while we were working. The previous days we were lucky enough to work in the shade, but today was not the case. I usually never get sunburned, but today might break my streak.

The main event for tonight was going to a cannon ball ceremony. At 8:30 pm, there is a showing of how a cannonball is shot out of a cannon every night in Havana, and tonight we finally went to see the show. The place we went to was called the Castillo del Moro, and it is a fortress that lines on the bay of Havana. There was a bridge that linked the mainland to the fortress which lead to a souvenir market. After you walked through the market, you could climb these stairs and reach the castle wall. The sight was insane from the fort. You could see the entire skyline and the fact that it was nighttime made it so much more beautiful because of all the lights.


The ceremony was more elaborate than I thought it would be. There were men dressed in 1800’s army clothes and the sound of a drumline followed the men as the carried a torch from the bottom of the fort wall to the top. The men were yelling something I didn’t really understand, but it was supposed to signify a ritual done by the cannonball crew. There were so many people that crowded the showing that I had to fight my way through the crowd to even see. Once I was in position, me and the other millennials around me took out our phones and waited till the men prepped the cannon. The men stuffed the cannon with gun powder, and eventually the man with the torch ignited the fuse. The sound from the cannon was insanely loud. It was probably the loudest sound I have heard from such close range. I was kind of disappointed that the cannon was only shot once, but it was cool to see either way. This event was on my Havana bucket list, so I can cross that of my list of things I want to do before I have to leave in the next couple days.


This is a picture of a clown that was made by the artists at the Muraleando. It is one of my favorite pieces at the facility. 


This is the bridge that connects the mainland to the Castillo del Moro.


This is the inside of the fortress where merchants sell little knick-knacks to the people that visit the fort.

This is part of the ceremony. The man with the torch lit the bottom torches before he finally lit the fuse to the cannon. 













No comments:

Post a Comment